Best utilisation of public transportation for climate impact
Jurisdiction: Aotearoa New Zealand
How can we use data to make buses to be an attractive transport option for citizens – to be more flexible, available when you need them, safer, more sustainable and efficient?
The planet is trying to reduce climate impact from lower emissions. Public transport is a solution cities are emphasising for their efficiency to move people around the city. However, buses are often empty. It is better if they are full. We have too many combustion buses working around the city. Petrol prices are rising. We want buses to be an attractive choice for citizens, be more flexible, available when you need them, be safer, more sustainable and efficient.
Areas to be creative in:
• Could the concept of an “Uber bus” be viable?
• What if buses knew where you really wanted to go, and we provided a dynamic bus service across the city?
• How many buses would be needed for the current bus system load and coverage?
• Could the system be available at 3am when someone needs it?
• Would this be more cost efficient for the user and the city?
What other ideas do you have for a better use of public transport?
• Surprise us!
Eligibility: Use any open datasets, eg. Bus routing, Bus usage, City maps
Entry: Challenge entry is available to all teams in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Christchurch Bus Usage Heat Map
Christchurch Bus Usage Data