Cities in Australia and all over the world are facing a similar problem: thanks to the impact of COVID and people working from home, there are a lot of underutilized offices. In today's environment, we consider this a misuse of space.
Many businesses have been forced to downsize or even shut down. It no longer makes sense for all companies to rent a large space for their employees.
Spacey aims to help fill empty spaces in offices around Australia by making space-sharing easy.
- Business owners can list available desks/rooms in their office
- Office-less workers can discover and book space to work in by themselves
- Small businesses can book board rooms for important meetings
To reduce interruptions to the office, Spacey users will be able to access offices securely via existing keyless entry systems (such as Kastle Presence).
Spacey users will be vetted and have their identity confirmed via police check before they can use the service.
The Spacey rating system allows trust to be built between both office owners and workers looking for space.
Social utilization of existing offices could help Australians affected by the housing crisis in three ways:
- People deciding on houses to rent/buy no longer need to plan for a dedicated work-from-home room (therefore cheaper options will be available)
- Precious space is not left empty and wasted. Offices could be converted into apartments.
- The building of additional office blocks can slow down to make way for apartments.
Furthermore, Spacey can help by
- Reducing our impact on the environment (utility usage such as aircon/heating is shared)
- Reducing cost overhead on small businesses that rarely require office space